Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Thu Mar 28 07:31:40 MDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 4:22 AM, Levi Pearson <levipearson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyway, systemd has nothing to do with making life easier for new users. It aims to make life better for sysadmins, though admittedly not the ones who are set in their ways and can't be bothered to learn new things. It's a little more opaque than a script-based init system, but not much more once you are familiar with it. In return, it offers speed, security, and resource usage improvements over other init systems.

As the guy who was leading the Fedora Project when systemd went in, I
couldn't agree more.  Systemd is about creating the next generation
init system (and a few other pieces of plumbing).  It's aimed squarely
at the sys-admin who wants parallel startup of services, ordered
dependencies, socket-activated services, and is willing to have faster
boot times as an added bonus.

This was not about change for the sake of change or just about boot
speed -- it was about moving past the crufty design of SystemV-style
initialization.

--
Jared Smith