Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 02:22:30 MDT 2013

On Mar 27, 2013, at 9:49 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> The only problem with these decisions made by someone else is that many
> of these changes are made to make life easier for the mythical new user
> that Fedora developers and Gnome developers seem to be catering to,
> which really doesn't exist.  The problem is their user base aren't the
> grandmas, mas, and pops of the world.  It's us, the enthusiasts.  This
> blind spot is especially present in Gnome 3 developers sadly.

Keep your definition of "enthusiast" to yourself.  :) As a software enthusiast, I welcome bold new directions like Gnome 3, Unity, Wayland, whatever that thing Canonical has decided to use instead of Wayland, etc. Sometimes they don't pan out, but Linux userspace is riding on seriously old, crufty foundations. Fresh ideas keep it relevant and interesting.

Anyway, systemd has nothing to do with making life easier for new users. It aims to make life better for sysadmins, though admittedly not the ones who are set in their ways and can't be bothered to learn new things. It's a little more opaque than a script-based init system, but not much more once you are familiar with it. In return, it offers speed, security, and resource usage improvements over other init systems.

I haven't used it in Fedora, just with an Arch install I was playing with, so I don't have anything to say to your criticisms of it. I was never a huge fan, being a long-time user of Debian-based distros, but every distro has a few weak releases (or transitional periods, for rolling-release distros).

        --Levi