Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 21:49:44 MDT 2013

On 03/27/2013 09:04 PM, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> Revolt is not the right description, all you're seeing is the usual
> Linux community moaning when something important changes. systemd is a
> fait accompli. Most of the major distros have already crowned it king.
> Debian hasn't because systemd takes full advantage of Linux only
> technologies and they've decided niche uses like Debian GNU/kFreeBSD are
> more important. Ubuntu hasn't because it would be too embarrassing.
>
> If you're already a Fedora user, systemd isn't a good reason to switch
> to Ubuntu. If you're already an Ubuntu user, systemd probably won't
> convince you to switch to Fedora. Asking to be sold on it is like asking
> to be sold on switching from leaded gas to unleaded. The decision's
> already been made by someone else.

The only problem with these decisions made by someone else is that many
of these changes are made to make life easier for the mythical new user
that Fedora developers and Gnome developers seem to be catering to,
which really doesn't exist.  The problem is their user base aren't the
grandmas, mas, and pops of the world.  It's us, the enthusiasts.  This
blind spot is especially present in Gnome 3 developers sadly.

As for important changes, I can't see a single benefit to the new Fedora
installer.  I usually find negative reviews to simply be biased (the old
oh noos it doesn't come with mp3 codecs or nvidia drivers), but this
time the reviews of Fedora 18 were not exaggerating.  The installer
really is that bad.  Especially if you're not a novice user and you want
to tweak your partition layout.  The spoke layout of the installer
defies logic too.  I had to click on most of the "spokes" anyway to
input information, so why not just give them to me step by step?

As an aside, there's also a big bug in Anaconda that prevents installing
as a kvm guest.  The install all works, but grub doesn't get written or
something because it won't boot.  I did the install under VirtualBox,
transferred the disk to a qemu qcow2 image and boot it right up under
kvm.  There's a ticket open on this bug (for quite a number of months).

Sorry Stuart, but I'm losing my enthusiasm for Fedora.  Maybe I'm just a
crusty old hacker at this point!  I think I see some young hip kids on
my lawn... be right back.