Fedora 18 console screen res, help me understand systemd

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 20:45:22 MDT 2013

On 03/27/2013 08:30 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> What the heck is this new systemd?  How is it different?  Why is
> everyone moving to it?

It's a fast, parallel boot system that replaces init and the standard
system V shell scripts.  Distros are moving to it mainly because
apparently boot-up speed is very important (gotta compete with windows).

But on servers, actually systemd (and Apple's LaunchD, and Solaris's
service manager whose name I've forgotten) can be a very good idea
because it takes care of dependencies and it can watch processes and
restart crashed services.  In the old days my servers often had watch
scripts to watch for crashes of some of the more unstable services and
restart them.  Systemd does that automatically.

The downside is that it's a very opaque system that, for speed purposes,
eschews scripts in favor of binaries, unlike Apple's or Solaris'
systems.  In my opinion systemd is really a solution in search of a
problem, at least how it's implement.  Let's just hope Fedora doesn't
switch to a binary system log, like Mr Pottering (I think it was) was
gunning for some months ago.