An actual Linux question?

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Wed Mar 27 14:50:29 MDT 2013

On 3/27/2013 1:41 PM, John D Jones III wrote:
> Just gonna throw this out there, but Arch Linux, a very minimalist
> default install, coupled with the LXDE desktop would perform EXTREMELY
> well. and with pacman/yaourt you can easily install anything you need.
> No fluff, no bloat, you get what you install and nothing else.
> AwesomeWM is pretty popular with alot of the Arch Linux users too, but
> tiling windows are my bag. The community is very large and it's wiki
> rivals, if not bests Gentoo's in completeness. And, lastly Arch is
> cutting edge, so there's no need to wait 917 years for that one off
> Wireless driver to get into the repos, but unlike a lot of 'cutting
> edge' distros, Arch is brutally stable.

As a die hard user of Arch Linux for many years, I would argue that Arch
is just "brutal" period.
I recently had to reinstall an arch system and the fact that they dumped
the AIF and now have a generic bootstrap script to hammer the
installation onto the hard drive made me realize that Arch has lost its
way.

As far as I know, there is still no  installation system for Arch. So
you have to print out the step by step instructions and pound it on
there. Which is what I did, but I have found it to not be as stable as
it used to be. After many many years of Arch use I dropped it. I grew
tired of the switch over to systemd and all the breakage during that.

I believe the last few years would have seen a LOT of linux growth in
the desktop market, but the distros desire to adopt the next coolest
thing (systemd, which I absolutely hate) has made the last couple rounds
of releases seem flaky. To the point I actually *left* linux altogether
and moved to Windows 7 for stability! Believe it or not. I am
dual-booting Kubuntu and Windows 7 now because I'm trying to move my
development back into Linux but all the problems I've had the last 2
years with systemd upgrades and what not, Windows 7 has rocked the whole
way through...

I don't care for Arch linux much anymore.

Nathan