An actual Linux question?

John D Jones III unixgeek1972 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 14:41:22 MDT 2013

On 03/26/2013 12:20 PM, Levi Pearson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Lonnie Olson <lists at kittypee.com> wrote:
>
> I guess I'm not the only crazy one that actually prefers Unity and
> Gnome, then.  Although, right now I have Gnome as my primary window
> manager, but I also have a full-screen Xephyr (like Xnest, an X server
> in a window) on one monitor that runs XMonad, which is a highly
> configurable tiling window manager.  At some point I'd like to find a
> better way to make them co-exist, but this works for now.
>
>        --Levi

Just gonna throw this out there, but Arch Linux, a very minimalist
default install, coupled with the LXDE desktop would perform EXTREMELY
well. and with pacman/yaourt you can easily install anything you need.
No fluff, no bloat, you get what you install and nothing else. AwesomeWM
is pretty popular with alot of the Arch Linux users too, but tiling
windows are my bag.
The community is very large and it's wiki rivals, if not bests Gentoo's
in completeness. And, lastly Arch is cutting edge, so there's no need to
wait 917 years for that one off Wireless driver to get into the repos,
but unlike a lot of 'cutting edge' distros, Arch is brutally stable.
--
John D Jones III
Perl/Javascript Zealot
unixgeek1972 at gmail.com