Any 100% telecommute jobs out there?

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 14:19:14 MDT 2013

>On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Ryan Moore <paniclater at gmail.com> wrote:
> Shoot, I was just considering asking you for advice on getting a job in a
> place like Ecuador. Best of luck finding a 100% telecommute gig.

Thanks, don't let the fact that I'm wrapping a project dissuade you
from Ecuador if you're seriously considering it.

I'm asking around the list because where I'm at is a small town and
there are no local tech companies.  One option would be to open my
own, the laws here are really lax about about hanging a shingle and
starting work.  As soon as I came and someone noticed I knew anything
about computers, I spent my first week here doing L1 tech stuff like
troubleshooting routers, unlocking iPhones, repairing computers etc,
because there is no one else here with these sorts of skills.  The
closest repair facility is an hour away in Libertad.  It's not what I
want to do for a living so after a week of being knee deep in iPhones
and broken laptops I asked decided to stop accepting new work (parts
availability is also a major problem and there is no Fed/Ex, UPS or
mail service out this way, in the bigger cities yes, but in rural
ecuador those things are still lacking).

Ecuador is very much like living in 1950's America.  It certainly has
the same potential.  The current president is easily is popular as JFK
and he's a trained economist who has done a lot of great things that
will cause this country to grow at a good clip.  Consider that while
the rest of the world's economy was shrinking Ecuador has seen
positive growth figures each and every year.

With the internet backbone running right up the coast like it is, I
can easily see the Manglaralto, Montanita, Olon area becoming the
silicon valley of South America.  The people here are smart, but on
the whole they are a little uneducated due to lack of educational
opportunities.  If someone came and setup a technical college
specializing in programming, web design etc.  I think that would
resolve most of the problems faced here.

Still life in one of the bigger cities is very much like life in a big
city in America.  Central Guayaquil reminds me so much of Salt Lake
that my internal map kept directing me to places in Salt Lake, there
is a place that looks like temple square and I kept looking for a trax
line :).  Quito is interesting but I've only been there once, still it
has a very San Francisco feel to it.

If I wanted life in a big city there would actually be no problem
getting a job in Quito, Guayaquil or  Manta.  However I don't like
life in a big city.  I really do prefer coastal Ecuador which has a
very California feel to it, but without the large crowds (exception
being Montanita which is a whole other ball game).

If you really want a job in Ecuador just grab your tech degree, your
birth certificate and a copy of your criminal history.  Get them
notarized & apostilled by the state, then fill out a 9-V visa
application.  Get your paperwork translated into spanish then have the
translation notarized and pay $200 for the visa.  Doing it this way
can grant you permanent residency.  When you're here go to the big
cities, look for buildings taller than 4 stories and walk in and hand
them your resume.  The country is that open to educated immigrants.

Pay here sucks by American standards, it's about half to a third of
what you might make in the states, but cost of living is also less
than quarter what it is there.  I live in a nice 4 bedroom house on
the beach for $400 per month.  I could buy this house for less than
$35k.  In the USA the same house without the beach would be $150k.

Gas is price fixed by the government at $1.46/gal and health care is
free and open to all.  The price of gas also isn't that important
because the bus system here is phenomenal.  Actually my experience
with anything government here is that they like to run a tight ship.
But stand on any corner for 15 minutes anytime from 4am to 10pm and a
bus will pick you and take you somewhere useful.  Bus fare to
Libtertad (a city about the size of provo and over an hour away) is
$1.50.  Bus fare to Manta or Guayaquil is $4.00 (these are 4 hour
trips).  Fare to any adjacent city is only $0.50.  Taxis cost $1.50
for any trip within reason.  So I have yet to see a need to have a car
out here.

I highly encourage anyone who is interested in trying something
different to come to Ecuador and see what I mean.  I honestly don't
remember being this happy in a place before.

Hope that's helpful for anyone considering a move.  I know I sure plan on it. :)