Hypervisors and you!

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 14:45:49 MDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was speaking of the user-mode emulation, though, not system emulation.
>  Usermode emulation used to be used a lot back in the day.  It would let
> you run a linux binary from, say, arm, on x86.  Or vice versa.  Arguably
> less useful now than it used to be, but if Arm-based linux laptops ever
> caught on it would be useful again.  This binary is run without booting
> up any operating system in a virtual machine.  No virtual disks either,
> as guest binaries had full access to the system just as a native binary did.

Oh, sorry, I follow you now.  I am aware of that mode of Qemu, but I
haven't used it myself. I guess you could combine it with some of the
LXC infrastructure to make a lower-overhead testing environment for a
cross-compiled Linux system image, though it might take a bit of doing
to get such a beast set up. I'm not aware of any big users of Qemu's
user mode emulation right now, though.

        --Levi