Hypervisors and you!

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 14:21:45 MDT 2013

On 03/26/2013 10:18 AM, Levi Pearson wrote:
> I can't really speak to how much love it gets now vs then, but I do
> know that quite a few arm cross-development frameworks use it for
> testing/simulation work. You can write emulators for a lot of the
> custom hardware on an embedded board or SoC into the Qemu binary and
> then be able to boot an image with most of the same functionality on
> either Qemu or the real board.  This is a great time-saver!  I think
> the Android SDK device emulator is based on Qemu's ARM emulation as
> well, and that's even more widely used.  So, I think it's fair to say
> that at least the ARM emulation gets a fair bit of love these days.

I was speaking of the user-mode emulation, though, not system emulation.
 Usermode emulation used to be used a lot back in the day.  It would let
you run a linux binary from, say, arm, on x86.  Or vice versa.  Arguably
less useful now than it used to be, but if Arm-based linux laptops ever
caught on it would be useful again.  This binary is run without booting
up any operating system in a virtual machine.  No virtual disks either,
as guest binaries had full access to the system just as a native binary did.

Hope that makes sense.  It did require a partial install of a distro
that could support the binary.  On my yellow dog install, for example, I
had libc, X11, gtk, etc libraries from x86 installed.