Hypervisors and you!

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 10:18:01 MDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Back when I had a PPC laptop running YellowDog, this let me run Adobe
> Reader and Flash Plugin (x86-only) on my PPC laptop.  You could also use
> it to run x86 wine on another platform like arm.  Or you could use it to
> run arm binaries you were developing right on your x86 box.
> Unfortunately with all the excitement surrounding full native vms, this
> aspect of Qemu isn't talked about much, and may not be getting quite as
> much love as it once got.

I can't really speak to how much love it gets now vs then, but I do
know that quite a few arm cross-development frameworks use it for
testing/simulation work. You can write emulators for a lot of the
custom hardware on an embedded board or SoC into the Qemu binary and
then be able to boot an image with most of the same functionality on
either Qemu or the real board.  This is a great time-saver!  I think
the Android SDK device emulator is based on Qemu's ARM emulation as
well, and that's even more widely used.  So, I think it's fair to say
that at least the ARM emulation gets a fair bit of love these days.

     --Levi