Crazy idea from a recruiter

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Mon Mar 25 17:05:56 MDT 2013

On Mar 25, 2013, at 4:52 PM, Ryan Moore wrote:

> A query to the community:is it a general feeling among pluggers that a
> strong resume is a handicap for job applicants in back end or systems
> administration fields? How mutually exclusive do you think "word
> processing" or "resume" type skills are with programming ability?
>
> --Ryan

I have hired a dozen or so sys admins over the years, and gone through hundreds and hundreds of resumes.  After a while, you get where you can see patterns and figure who might not be a complete waste of time to interview.

Sometimes you hit it on the head, sometimes you miss.  A resume is essentially an advertisement, and should be treated as such.

Asking for a sample code snippet is not bad for programmers, but difficult for sysadmins.  The resume is the only method to try and guess if they would be worth talking to.  Sometimes a short phone interview will weed out the ones talented at resumes, then a longer in person interview with a whiteboard can do wonders.

-Steve