Crazy idea from a recruiter

S. Dale Morrey sdalemorrey at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 17:02:46 MDT 2013

I think it depends on if you're looking for a coder or a communicator.
Something about being immersed in code 24/7 does make it hard for many
people to communicate clearly and effectively.

If you're looking for a solo, lone wolf coder then yeah go ahead and
completely disregard the resume.
If that person will be working directly in/with a team, or will need
to interface with clients regularly, then you should pay close
attention to the resume and try to pick out places where they aren't
communicating their skills clearly.  I've found that resumes which are
concise and clear tend to come from people who are themselves good
communicators.

I've been in a couple of positions where I have been fortunate enough
to be able to build a team from the ground up and that's what I did,
just looked for the best communicators.
My most successful teams have always been comprised of people who are
adequate coders, but excellent communicators.