Crazy idea from a recruiter

Ryan Moore paniclater at
Mon Mar 25 16:52:08 MDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Sasha Pachev <sasha at> wrote:
> My thinking is that a good looking resume is important for a strong UI
> position(HTML/JavaScript/CSS/Graphic design). For a back end/systems
> guy, if you see a good looking one that is too good, I would be
> suspicious. The analogy is that if I am trying to pick a potential
> world-class marathoner from a group of guys based on how fast they ran
> 100 meters, I would focus on the range from 11.3 to 12.7. Somebody who
> runs 10.7 likely lacks the slow twitch fibers to be able to run 5:00
> pace for 26 miles no matter the training. Somebody who runs 13.5 is
> likely not lacking in slow twitch fibers, but he probably has enough
> structural/biomechanical defects that would prevent him from ever
> making 5:00 pace sufficiently comfortable. For this type of purpose
> you want something in the middle. But if you are looking for a
> sprinter, the faster of course the better.
> This analogy confuses me. Are you implying that using a resume to hire a
back end/systems guy is analogous to trying to pick a marathoner from
sprinters? Or that composing a resume and being a good back end/systems guy
are skills as unlikely to be found in the same individual as slow twitch
and fast twitch fibers? Or is it just a runaway analogy that was originally
intended to highlight the similarities between the merit based system of
valuing sprinters, long distance runners and software developers?

A query to the community:is it a general feeling among pluggers that a
strong resume is a handicap for job applicants in back end or systems
administration fields? How mutually exclusive do you think "word
processing" or "resume" type skills are with programming ability?