affordable table

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 14:32:23 MDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Steve Alligood <steve at betterlinux.com> wrote:
> Hence a phrase that has passed into hitchhiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)
>
> ( http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Towel_Day_origin_page_from_The_Hitchhikers_Guide_to_the_Galaxy.jpg )
>
> That was from the book.  But I could have sworn that the radio scripts (or was it the tv mini-series?) said "Froopy Dude".  Anyone have a reference for it?

So, upon further searching, I must admit I was wrong as well.  "Hoopy
Frood" doesn't seem to be in the text, though it appears quite often
relative to other erroneous constructions in web searches. I guess
that it's because "Hoopy Frood" looks very similar to "hoopy Ford"
which does appear in the text.

Zaphod does have a line with "cool frood" in it in the radio plays and
Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Zaphod also exclaims "Hoopy!"
after finding a dead hairdresser.  Zaphod uses the phrase "cool and
froody" to describe a situation, and apparently this does not equate
to "under control". In Mostly Harmless, "froody" shows up a couple of
times outside of quotes, but in reference to Ford's perception of
things (his perception of life, and later his opinion about his blue
suede shoes).

These references were found via Google Books and Amazon searches of
scanned books containing either the novel text or radio play scripts.
I may have missed some, though.

So, the construction "Froody dude" would make sense given the
definitions given in the book; "Hoopy frood" uses correct words
(probably) incorrectly-- there's no evidence of an adjectival form of
'hoopy', though one could conjecture that its adjectival form would be
the same as its noun form if it existed; and "froopy dude" has no
basis in the text at all.

    --Levi