Xinerama multi-computer display

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Mon Mar 25 12:45:27 MDT 2013

On Mar 25, 2013, at 12:35 PM, David Landry <dlandry at byu.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Nathan England <nathan at nmecs.com> wrote:
>
>> My Google-foo is not strong today. I appreciate your help. I want to use
>> the laptop display on my laptop as part of my primary workstation
>> display. I currently have two screens on my workstation and a laptop
>> that sits on my desk. I want to figure out a way to extend my desktop of
>> two screens to incorporate the laptop screen...
>>
>> This has to be possible, correct?
>
> You have a desktop with two screens and want to add your laptop as a third
> screen? I haven't done that before, but I have used Synergy[0] to control a
> laptop using my desktop's mouse and keyboard. It works almost like having a
> third screen, except you can't move applications between machines.
>
> [0] http://synergy-foss.org/

I have seen/heard of this type of setup using VNC before. See for example:

On your workstation you would modify your X setup to extend the virtual display, and run a VNC server to display the extended portion. On your laptop you would run a VNC client fullscreen (and probably want to turn off power-saving features).

I have no specific recommendations beyond that. For your Google-foo, the search I did to find the link above was "vnc extra monitor".

JN