snmp

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Mar 22 09:15:38 MDT 2013

On 03/21/2013 05:46 PM, Lonnie Olson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Merrill Oveson <moveson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anybody out there have a suggestion for an snmp solution?
>>
>> I need to be able to monitor all computers on my network.
>> I'd like to even know things like
>> a) processor heat - e.g. is there a broken fan which is causing a
>> processor to overheat.  Is this possible?
>> b) does a machine has virus protection installed and running
>> c) does the machine has the latest windows 7 updates
>> d) Can the machine identify linux computers - e.g. which Distro, which version
>> e) printers (BTW SpiceWorks does this well.  The other day it told me
>> a printer was out of ink.)
>
> It doesn't sound like you need an "snmp solution".  It sounds like you
> need a monitoring solution, perhaps network discovery too?
> SNMP is just one method among many for collecting info from network
> connected devices.
> If you want to be able to monitor *all the things*, you will need to
> find a solution that works with a combination of methods.

I'll just throw in my 2¢ here. The "S" in "SNMP" stands for simple, but
only relative to the other alternatives. I'm a big fan of Zenoss for its
automatic modeling and class-based templating which makes the process
very smooth, once it's set up. But unfortunately, that's the glamorous
part. The bulk of your time will be spent creating the templates, and
finding the OIDs, and figuring out why a particular vendor uses a 64-bit
counter to store a 32-bit value which rolls over after only 10 minutes.
Don't underestimate the complexity of monitoring, even with all the
great tools out there.

Corey