snmp

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Thu Mar 21 22:45:05 MDT 2013

On 3/21/2013 5:46 PM, Lonnie Olson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Merrill Oveson <moveson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anybody out there have a suggestion for an snmp solution?
>>
>> I need to be able to monitor all computers on my network.
>> I'd like to even know things like
>> a) processor heat - e.g. is there a broken fan which is causing a
>> processor to overheat.  Is this possible?
>> b) does a machine has virus protection installed and running
>> c) does the machine has the latest windows 7 updates
>> d) Can the machine identify linux computers - e.g. which Distro, which version
>> e) printers (BTW SpiceWorks does this well.  The other day it told me
>> a printer was out of ink.)
> This list has discussed monitoring solutions many times over.
> Examples include: Nagios, Zabbix, OpenNMS, Munin, Groundworks, etc.
> All monitoring systems will take a lot of time and effort to get
> configured to monitor everything you want.  I personally have used
> Nagios and it's forks/clones for many years, but others on this list
> have used others.  Any good monitoring system will support a variety
> of data collection methods (SNMP, SSH, client agent, WMI, etc), also
> they should support custom checks/plugins to allow you to create your
> own methods.

Oh how I have always been excited and then thoroughly disappointed by
Spiceworks.  Every time.  I think it's the whole "Ruby" thing. *jab jab*

I want to throw Hobbit on that list.  I've worked with a lot of
monitoring software and I have always found Hobbit to be the most
efficient and flexible.  I haven't used it in several years (I don't
need to monitor my house) but last I checked it was still active and
still quite good.  If you need to monitor, it can not only do the
servers and such, it can also poll snmp services on various devices, and
gives you nice reporting if that's your thing.

</fanboy>

-Tod Hansmann