snmp

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Thu Mar 21 17:46:35 MDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Merrill Oveson <moveson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anybody out there have a suggestion for an snmp solution?
>
> I need to be able to monitor all computers on my network.
> I'd like to even know things like
> a) processor heat - e.g. is there a broken fan which is causing a
> processor to overheat.  Is this possible?
> b) does a machine has virus protection installed and running
> c) does the machine has the latest windows 7 updates
> d) Can the machine identify linux computers - e.g. which Distro, which version
> e) printers (BTW SpiceWorks does this well.  The other day it told me
> a printer was out of ink.)

It doesn't sound like you need an "snmp solution".  It sounds like you
need a monitoring solution, perhaps network discovery too?
SNMP is just one method among many for collecting info from network
connected devices.
If you want to be able to monitor *all the things*, you will need to
find a solution that works with a combination of methods.

This list has discussed monitoring solutions many times over.
Examples include: Nagios, Zabbix, OpenNMS, Munin, Groundworks, etc.
All monitoring systems will take a lot of time and effort to get
configured to monitor everything you want.  I personally have used
Nagios and it's forks/clones for many years, but others on this list
have used others.  Any good monitoring system will support a variety
of data collection methods (SNMP, SSH, client agent, WMI, etc), also
they should support custom checks/plugins to allow you to create your
own methods.

It's also possible you will want a combination of systems based on
their strengths.  Eg. Nagios + Cacti, or SpiceWorks + Munin.