snmp

Doran L. Barton fozz at hypermoo.com
Thu Mar 21 17:17:24 MDT 2013

On Thursday, March 21, 2013 04:36:47 PM Merrill Oveson wrote:
> Pluggers:
>
> I've been playing with SpiceWorks.  It has some of what I want....like
> it's free and it runs on a separate server accessible via a browser.
> But it has some problems as well, such as connecting to certain
> machines and it seems difficult to troubleshoot as to why it won't
> connect.
>
> Anybody out there have a suggestion for an snmp solution?

My past ventures in SNMP-land have been nightmarish. It's a steep curve,
that's for sure.

Nagios has some nice plugins for finding the kind of information you mentioned
from various platforms, but you usually have to install something on the
system to get it to report back. Nagios has the added bonus of providing
alerts when certain variables cross thresholds (e.g. temperature goes above XX
degrees or available disk space drops below XX GB.)

--
Doran L. Barton <fozz at hypermoo.com> - Linux, Perl, Web, good fun, and more!
 "Mixing bowl set designed to please cook with round bottom for efficient