Linux Traffic Shaping

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Mar 21 08:22:21 MDT 2013

On 03/20/2013 05:12 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> I don't know of anyone throttling or setting QoS on their home networks
> in this matter, so I have little wisdom, even inferior wisdom to offer.
>
> I regularly saturate my link and during such times only interactive ssh
> sessions are really impacted.  Sure latency is added to things like
> making IMAP connections, but in practice I just don't notice it.  And
> normally when my bandwidth is saturated, the normal TCP/IP congestion
> algorithms seem to work well enough and all my downloads get a share.

I've been using Wonder Shaper[1] on my home connection. I find it does a
great job of retaining interactivity even during times of congestion.
Hans Fugal helped me set it up. You can read our write-ups here[2] and
here[3].

Corey

1. http://lartc.org/wondershaper/
2. http://hans.fugal.net/blog/2005/09/05/wondershaper/