Hypervisors and you!

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 10:44:22 MDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 08:12:15AM -0600, Tod Hansmann wrote:
> What's your favorite VM Server thingamajig?  Why?  What else might you
> recommend?  How do you manage it?

Lots of replies in the thread, and I haven't read them all, so apologies if
this has already been mentioned.

KVM is solid for virtual machines if you wish to run the Linux kernel. But,
if you need high density and maximum performance, you should be looking at
containers rather than VMs. I would personally recommend LXC if using
Debian/Ubuntu with cgroups, or OpenVZ if on the RH-side of things.

In my testing and troubleshooting, I can easily get twice the density AND
twice the performance using containers over VMs. The big drawback, of
course, is sticking to Linux kernels, and losing the ability to virtualize
non-Linux kernel, such as Windows. However, you can run both a container
and VM hypervisor on one box, if you need that homogeny.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o