Hypervisors and you!

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 00:35:21 MDT 2013

*You CAN do that with Gentoo as well, BTW. Just put the kernel and it's
parent category in the /etc/portage/package.mask file. I don't recall the
exact point the kernel is located in the portage tree, but it's likely in
system-base. So you'd just add the following lines to your package.mask
file (AFTER you emerge the kernel the first time:)*

* *

*# DO NOT upgrade the kernel! Could cause stability issues requiring
physical presence.*

*system-base/gentoo-sources*

*system-base/vanila-sources*

* *

*Of course you need to verify that system-base is correct, but you get the
idea. Once you add those lines, emerge world will not touch the kernel, and
if you somehow manage to tell the system to update the kernel anyway it
will refuse with the message after the # on that first line. Multi-line
messages can be included as well, just put a # in front of each one and
have the last one immediately before the gentoo-sources line.*

* *

*You may want to actually specify a version number of the kernel too, it's
been too long for me to recall for sure. But that's still easy. Assuming
the version is 2.6.27.41 (random off the top of my head) on both, change
the system-base lines to: (and YES, include the > sign!) *

*>system-base/gentoo-sources-2.6.27.41*

*>system-base/vanila-sources-2.6.27.41*