Back to the subject of Cat5e?

Troy Bowman troy at lump.net
Mon Mar 18 15:59:06 MDT 2013

I second the RouterBoard suggestion.  Mikrotik's
RouterBoard<http://routerboard.com/>line has lots of economical and
intelligent solutions, and their RouterOS
is Linux at its core, so it has all of the networking features Linux has in
an easy to configure, extremely economical package.

The suggested RB493 is 9-port, and costs $199, but if you're willing to
lose 4 ports and you're going to use this for a redundant network with
nodes outdoors every 1000 meters, then you might want to get the $40
RB260GS<http://routerboard.com/RB260GS>for a layer
2 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layer_2> spanning
tree<http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Bridge#.28Rapid.29_Spanning_Tree_Protocol>-provided
redundant switching solution, or the $60
RB750GL<http://routerboard.com/RB750GL>for an
OSPF <http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Routing/OSPF>,
VRRP<http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/VRRP>,
or even BGP routing