How to get 1 or 2Km of optical fiber?

Steve Alligood steve at
Mon Mar 18 11:50:15 MDT 2013

On Mar 18, 2013, at 11:18 AM, David Landry wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Steve Alligood <steve at>wrote:
>> naw, you can get 32+ colors on a pair of single mode fiber, it just isn't
>> cheap and has problems with different colors at different distances.
> Maybe you can, but a single mode waveguide is designed to allow propagation
> of a single mode at a particular wavelength. That wavelength of that mode
> can be adjusted by changing core diameter and the index of refraction
> profile [0].
> I suppose you could couple other wavelengths into an evanescent mode along
> the cladding over a short enough distance, though. Are you referring to
> some particular product?

no, most dwdm and cwdm systems work with multiple colors across SMF.

I have a set of Cienna chassis with four colors each from Provo to SLC across a pair of SMF, and a passive WDM system (optics on their own colors, with a shelf that is basically just a prism combining them) that goes the same distance across a pair of SMF.

As far as I know, SMF is the norm for most of my vendor's waves they sell us across the country.  MMF just doesn't make sense for the distances.

I am not an expert on how they combine, or the issues they have amplifying the different colors, etc.

BTW, anyone wanting to know more about fiber, read this: