How to get 1 or 2Km of optical fiber?

Lloyd Brown lloyd_brown at byu.edu
Mon Mar 18 10:33:35 MDT 2013

Yes, exactly.  We have quotes for some 40GBASE-LR modules (1310nm) that
will go up to 10km over a single physical pair of SMF.  They do use WDM
and have 4 wavelengths, though I'm not sure if that's considered Dense
or Coarse WDM; that's really just semantics, right?

Given our specific situation, and the fact that we have about 30 pair of
dedicated SMF between the two rooms in question, we're actually looking
at a much cheaper, though non-standard solution for our room-to-room
40GbE, that does use 4 distinct pairs.

Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator
Fulton Supercomputing Lab