How to get 1 or 2Km of optical fiber?

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Mon Mar 18 10:30:13 MDT 2013

On Mar 18, 2013, at 8:24 AM, David Landry wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:17 AM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> So the question then becomes how exactly does one obtain 1 or 2 Km of
>> optical fiber?
>> All google is giving me on the subject is links to places that sell
>> short runs and patch cables, although I did find a good deal on a
>> 1000BaseT to Fiber connector that says it's good for up to 100Km.
>

> Something to keep in mind is that 1-2 km of fiber is actually a relatively
> short run of fiber.
>
> Unjacketed fiber is commonly sold in spools between 10km and 50km. That
> would require you to jacket them and connectorize them yourself. I also ran
> across jacketed, pre-terminated spools here:
> http://www.lanshack.com/Outdoor-Pre-Terminated-Assembly-C51.aspx

I would get a quote from http://www.huihongfiber.com

Not the fastest to get (ships from china) but good product at good prices.

Keep in mind that if you get plain fiber you then have to have the equipment and know-how to splice and terminate it.

Often you can find a local fiber technician that is willing to work after hours on a project like this.