How to get 1 or 2Km of optical fiber?

Lloyd Brown lloyd_brown at byu.edu
Mon Mar 18 10:11:52 MDT 2013

It's worth noting that this vendor lock-in can go both ways, meaning
modules that refuse to turn their transmitter on if they're not in the
right brand of switch, as well as switches that refuse to use the wrong
brand of module.

For example, for us our Force10 S4810 switches say they'll work with
anything, though they will warn you when a module is not "certified" by
them.  We've got F10 and Arista branded modules working fine, but I
can't get the Intel-branded modules to turn their transmitter on,
despite the switch being okay with it.

I've heard that Cisco switches won't turn on any module that's not
Cisco, but I don't know about their modules.  And I've not experienced
this myself; it could just be a vicious rumor spread by their
competitors.  We've always had enough other reasons to not buy Cisco,
that it didn't matter for our purchasing decision.

Lloyd Brown
Systems Administrator
Fulton Supercomputing Lab
Brigham Young University