How to get 1 or 2Km of optical fiber?

David Landry dlandry at byu.net
Mon Mar 18 09:49:20 MDT 2013

You could use either. What will really dictate which you use is based on
the transmitter/receivers that you couple into them.

One of the big advantages of single-mode over multi-mode is not having to
worry very much about mode dispersion. Lower dispersion means longer runs
before needing any sort of special dispersion correcting devices.

The trade-off is a single-mode fiber has much lower bandwidth available.
Using WDM, a multi-mode fiber can easily transmit 20+ channels at 20 to 40
Gb/s per channel. Single-mode is essentially a single channel.

David Landry