How to get 1 or 2Km of optical fiber?

David Landry dlandry at byu.net
Mon Mar 18 08:24:07 MDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:17 AM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm guessing that optical fiber for distance runs, generally comes in
> very large spools.  But I'm not seeing any suppliers or OEMs.
> Does anyone have some links I could try because they really want to do
> this and I think it would be awesome to hook a small town in Ecuador
> up with gigabit internet :)

That would be pretty awesome.

So the question then becomes how exactly does one obtain 1 or 2 Km of
> optical fiber?
> All google is giving me on the subject is links to places that sell
> short runs and patch cables, although I did find a good deal on a
> 1000BaseT to Fiber connector that says it's good for up to 100Km.

Something to keep in mind is that 1-2 km of fiber is actually a relatively
short run of fiber.

Unjacketed fiber is commonly sold in spools between 10km and 50km. That
would require you to jacket them and connectorize them yourself. I also ran
across jacketed, pre-terminated spools here:
http://www.lanshack.com/Outdoor-Pre-Terminated-Assembly-C51.aspx