Linux Traffic Shaping

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 00:05:44 MDT 2013

*Hey guys, as I design my new home network I'm realizing something I should
have done some time ago. I don't have ANY traffic shaping on my system. I
don't even know how to do it. :( I'm hoping you guys can help me out with
this. I want to do it via the server/gateway machine. And it's not quite as
easy as assigning priorities. What I want to do is assign BOTH priorities,
and a bandwidth cap at the same time.*

* *

*For example, let's suppose I have a 10Mbps link to the 'net (that's what
I'm expecting anyway). I want mail (imap(s) and (s)smtp) to take priority
#1 and use up to 8Mbps. Then I want web traffic (http(s)) to be priority
#2, using up to 9Mbps of the ten. Then ssh, vnc, rdesktop and X11 traffic
to take priority #3, and use up to 3Mbps (they don't need much), and the
last priority would be anything else (i.e. file sharing, bittorrent,
etc...) using up to 5Mbps. *

* *

*Is this even possible using the Linux traffic shaping tools? And if so,
how do I set something like that up? I've never seen any books on it, and
the last couple of web references I read left me scratching my head saying
"Huh?". They seem to assume that you already have a basic understanding of
some kind of network mechanic that I either don't have or am not
understanding a link to.*

* *

*I appreciate this guys! And yes, I'm still looking for references. But
since the two I've seen so far left me puzzled I'm hoping you can help.*

* *

*--- Dan*

* *

*P.S. Speaking of rdesktop, do the xDM programs (XDM, KDM, GDM, etc...), or
X11 itself provide functionality for rdesktop? Or is there some extra
utility I can install? I know of VNC, and I like it, but rdesktop is built
into windows and on the occasion where I need to connect to the system
using a windows computer, rdesktop is my preferred method over vnc.*