Back to the subject of Cat5e?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 22:30:52 MDT 2013

On 03/15/2013 10:11 PM, S. Dale Morrey wrote:
> The question then is what is a good router/switch (up to a max of 8
> ports needed), to put in these outdoor enclosure boxes.
> The environment is coastal and there is a LOT of rain, but no other
> weather to speak of and the temperature is warm but not hot, 70-85f
> year round.
> I've already explained that there will probably need to be a hardware
> refresh every 2 to 5 years, and that they should purchase 20 routers
> total.

What do you mean, "router?" What kind of topology are you looking for,
exactly?  A "router" could mean the sort of NAT device that people have
in their home, or a fancy Layer 3 device that speaks 802.1q trunking.

> The budget for the hardware needs to stay below $10kUSD.
>
> Any suggestions?

Cisco's out... Just one Layer 3 core router would run you about that much!

I remember reading about a company once that was using Linux to develop
switching and routing hardware for a fraction of the price of the big
players like Cisco.  Can't remember anything about them or the open
source project that underlayed it.

> Oh by the way, I mentioned fiber to the curb for the next phase of
> development and they are all for it.

Good to hear it.  In North America, I doubt code would even let you bury
cat-5 between structures.  It's a potential fire hazard during
electrical storms.