Quantum teleportation, FTL, and causality; was Re: Cat 5 extended run?

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Fri Mar 15 16:42:39 MDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 2:29 PM, Levi Pearson <levipearson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Crackpots aren't marginalized and dismissed because
> they attack the status quo.  They're marginalized because they're
> wrong, or at least their arguments are flawed to the point of being
> inadmissible to serious consideration.

Yes, there *are* actual crackpots according to your definition.

But, didn't we just discuss that often people are dismissed regardless
of being correct simply because they contradicted the status quo of
the then-current conventional wisdom? Eg Copernicus/Galileo. There are
*also* people that present very cogent arguments against commonly
accepted ideas in science. Miles' arguments against string theory
satisfy that IMO. Lumping them in with crackpots to discount them
off-hand is a weak way to avoid their otherwise-solid arguments.