Safe Instant Messaging

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Fri Mar 15 16:28:20 MDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Jason Klebs <jasonk at riseup.net> wrote:
> I agree it is wise to be weary of Skype.  Unfortunately, the network
> effect is so large now, it will be hard to convince many to switch away
> from it.
>
> A few alternatives I have considered:
>
> 1) Google talk (or any other chat service) with OTR:
> https://launchpad.net/pidgin-otr
>
> 2) Use your own IM server with ejabberd
>
> 3) Just use Facebook chat instead...they use https now, right? ;-)

Facebook has publicly acknowledged that they scan all messages for the law.
Yahoo terms of service states that they own all information and any
ideas communicated over their network.
It would not surprise me if Google scanned IM messages for ad
targeting at the very least.

I'd say the safest bet to ensure privacy would be hosting your own
private IRC or jabber server and connecting over ssl and/or using OTR.