Safe Instant Messaging

Joseph Hall perlhoser at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 15:50:58 MDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Jima <jima at beer.tclug.org> wrote:
>   XMPP?  (AKA Jabber.)  It's what Google Talk uses, but you can
> absolutely run your own server (as I have for years) with
> SSL/TLS-protected connectivity.

I also recommend Jabber. I have been running it for years, and my
servers always require TLS.

But it should be kept in mind that the encryption here is only between
your client and your server. Once it reaches the server, it's
converted to plain text. If you configure your server to require
TLS-only connections between other servers (which will re-encrypt the
plain text), you still have to worry about the guy on the other end
not running an encrypted connection to their server.

A lot of clients also allow you to use OTR chats. This is an
additional layer of security on top of your supposedly secure
connection to your Jabber server. But it also requires the clients on
both ends to enable it.

Of course, if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. Right?

--
"In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,