Hypervisors and you!

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Fri Mar 15 15:33:43 MDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Daniel Fussell <dfussell at byu.edu> wrote:
> What drama?  It just works.

Maybe drama wasn't the right word for this:

"""
With Citrix getting involved, things have changed; like the move to a
Windows management client, and the fact that they over complicated
XenServer/XenEnterprise and started charging as much as VMware.

There is command line management for XCP, but it's really complicated.
 Every last piece has a giant UUID to specify, the documentation is
not so thorough. There are some bash command completion for it now,
but I still don't like it.

Other things I don't like about XCP are the reliance on the Microsoft
VHD format and it's 2TB limit, and the scripts that used to all be in
python are now all in ocaml.  I really don't see what that bought them
that they didn't already have with python.

There is an open source Open Xen Manager client for linux that tried
to duplicate the windows client, but it crashes often enough to be
irritating, and it looks like it's gone stale.
"""

Gabe