Hypervisors and you!

Steve Alligood steve at betterlinux.com
Fri Mar 15 15:27:37 MDT 2013

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 15, 2013, at 2:40 PM, Gary Thornock <gthornock at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> What's your favorite VM Server thingamajig?  Why?  What else might you
>> recommend?  How do you manage it?
>
> ESXi is nice, but you've already noticed some limitations there.
>
> Have you considered (the free version of) Citrix XenServer?  It's been
> a couple of years since I used that one, but I remember it being able
> to do pretty much everything that the free ESXi did, and including some
> of the expensive vSphere features too (things like live migration
> between physical servers).

KVM does live migration quite well, usually misses a single ping.

I have used xen and KVM quite a bit, and I used to be sold on xen until I learned my way around KVM.  It is *much* better from an admin standpoint and generally just works, without some of the more esoteric methods that xen used, plus KVM has decent support for windows.

I don't think you can do better for a free product, and it gives the expensive ones a run for their money.

-Steve