Quantum teleportation, FTL, and causality; was Re: Cat 5 extended run?

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Fri Mar 15 12:54:28 MDT 2013

On 03/15/2013 10:30 AM, Joshua Marsh wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Lonnie Olson<lists at kittypee.com>  wrote:
>
>> I hate to disagree with you, but you are wrong.  I wish you were right
>> though.
>
> Just because not everyone gets it, doesn't make it wrong. Sure, there are
> examples of when people got it wrong. I think there are examples of people
> who got it right though and did great things in either or both fields.

Such as Newton, Descartes, Pascal (my personal favorite).  I would go so
far as to say that Galileo had it right in both areas as well, suffering
his house arrest due to support and defense of Copernicus' theory in the
midst of a political pissing fight over the calendar with Tolosani as
instigator.  I'm betting the calendar administration was a commissioned
appointment, which would include money, notoriety, and position, and no
doubt Tolosani was trying to make a play for a position.

Tolosani based part of his refute of Copernicus on theology, making
Copernicus' theory appear to be contrary to the ruling authority (the
church filling both political and religious authority) and the empire's
citizens at large; though I don't see anywhere where Copernicus said
anything to put his view as contrary to theological history.  Tolosani
presented Copernicus' ideas as those of a post-humus heretic, and given
the church's nature of authority, I'm thinking this would have been
equivalent of calling someone a traitor or terrorist.  As such, this
would have been an early example of a FUD campaign.  Considering that
Copernicus had died 3 years earlier, Tolosani must have thought this
would be an easy play, but it still took Tolosani several years to
garner enough support to get the church to accept that the followers of
Copernican ideas as a threat to the empire.

If you think about it, this same thing happens regularly when we
criticize the code of our predecessors.  And FUD campaigns over idea
ownerships, or suggestion of community products being communist ideals
are not unheard of in our industry either.

;-Daniel Fussell