Hypervisors and you!

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Fri Mar 15 11:32:48 MDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
> - Last but not least, I'm concerned about upgrade ability.  I'm going to
> put this in my colo, and I do NOT want to break things with an OS
> update.  I'd rather enjoy uptime of about 3 years before having to go
> back to the colo.  I guess what I'm saying here is I will never use
> Gentoo in this case.

I don't get your beef with gentoo. It's no worse than other distros
regarding updates and breakage. 1) You have complete control over what
you choose to update. 2) I assume you test updates on another machine
before deploying them to a production server regardless of distro....
don't you? (If not, you lose admin points.) Furthermore, it fully
supports binary packages just like all the other distros.

I don't believe there exists any distro that holds your hand so much
that you can just run their update tool and trust that nothing will go
wrong.