Hypervisors and you!

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Fri Mar 15 10:38:31 MDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
> - I can't go with ESXi, because they have a hard limit of 32GB RAM, and
> they don't support any software RAID.

They don't want you to have fun with your own hardware unless you pay
them. I'll always pass on VMware.

> - I've been playing with Hyper-V Server 2012, which is nice in some
> ways, but has some major lack in the Linux VM department

I've never even heard of this... are you sure it even exists?  ;)

> - I'm looking at Xen, but don't know much about it yet

Xen was the stuff back in the day. It's still widely used, but mostly
by those with tons of existing investment and build out in their
infrastructure. It was the obvious choice 7 or 8 years ago (has it
really been that long?).

> - I need something I can get to remotely, but is secure.  This is
> another strike against Hyper-V.  Managing the thing is a HUGE pain.

Again, Hyper-V?

> - KVM isn't going to be a whole lot better with regards to management
> unless I use something on top of it.  My only OTHER issue with KVM is
> that it seems I will have to install a full OS of some sort, when I'd
> rather just have a bare metal Hypervisor.  Correct me if I'm wrong, I
> guess, but managing the thing is important, too.

KVM is where it's at. Most often you'll use it with the handy little
shell, virsh. It's still a bit of a moving target, but if you find a
version and stick with it, you're going to be just fine. It's easy to
manage with the command line, XML, Python scripting or the GUI,
virt-manager. It can be a little rough around the edges at times, but
it's clearly where things are headed.

> - Last but not least, I'm concerned about upgrade ability.  I'm going to
> put this in my colo, and I do NOT want to break things with an OS
> update.  I'd rather enjoy uptime of about 3 years before having to go
> back to the colo.  I guess what I'm saying here is I will never use
> Gentoo in this case.

Maybe you're looking for linux-from-scratch ;)

> What's your favorite VM Server thingamajig?  Why?  What else might you
> recommend?  How do you manage it?

Ubuntu LTS + KVM + Salt.

Best,
Gabe