Hypervisors and you!

Joseph Hall perlhoser at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 10:38:35 MDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
> The reason to go virtual is largely one of flexibility.  I can hand a small
> linux VM to a friend.  I can spin up a Windows server to run ASP.NET stuff
> (shush, I like it, especially the new MVC4).  I can spin up a VM of Hurd to
> see just how ridiculous it still is.  Dev server going in a test
> environment with it's own lab.  You know, whatever.  Maybe 40 people will
> ever access them in any way besides the website.  My online community is
> not that large and we like it that way. =c)

If you're going to be running Windows, you can just forget about
OpenVZ and LXC; full virtualization is the name of the game.

My recommendation would be KVM. Xen is a fine hypervisor, but it is
losing popularity, and there is some excellent community support for
KVM (not to mention backing from Red Hat; I think those guys may have
a future).

I also really liked VirtualBox the few times I played with it, but I
only did so from a GUI. It has some excellent command line support,
which I have never looked at, and it is quickly gaining ground. I also
have it on good authority that it is very easy to manage using Salty
Vagrant:

https://github.com/saltstack/salty-vagrant

I also just saw a message come in from Lonnie that mentions libvirt.
If you're going to be using KVM (or a number of other hypers), libvirt
is your friend. It's also easy to manage using Salt:

http://docs.saltstack.org/en/latest/ref/modules/all/salt.modules.virt.html

And yes, I realize I'm biased.

--
"In order to create, you have to have the willingness, the desire to
be challenged, to be learning." -- Ferran Adria (speaking at Harvard,