Hypervisors and you!

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Fri Mar 15 10:35:27 MDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Tod Hansmann <plug.org at todandlorna.com> wrote:
> It's a personal server for just about anything I want to do with it.  My
> current server (which doesn't have the virtualization instruction sets)
> runs some game servers like Minecraft, a couple web servers, some python
> scripts, an IRC bot, Mumble, etc.  I sometimes cross-compile things on it,
> or store config backups, but nothing too fancy (I'm still on DSL, so upload
> is a pain).

I almost always suggest VMware ESXi for virtualization.  It's amazing
and powerful, but it's also relatively expensive.  Since you want it
for personal use, I think the paid version is overkill anyway.

Not speaking from experience, only reading docs and opinion articles,
I think KVM is the way to go for a Hypervisor.  You can layer libVirt
(http://libvirt.org/) on top of it for management purposes.  I think
this is the recommended way to manage KVM anyway.