Hypervisors and you!

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Fri Mar 15 10:28:20 MDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Joseph Hall <perlhoser at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are both performance improvements and security concerns involved
> in running paravirtualized machines. If you're going to go that route,
> you might want to look at OpenVZ or LXC (which is supposedly "OpenVZ
> done right). Ultimately, I think the task at hand will dictate whether
> you go with full or paravirtualization. What services will you be
> running? What kinds of and how many users will have access to these
> machines? What resources (outside of the hyper itself) will be shared,
> if any? These will all come into play.

It's a personal server for just about anything I want to do with it.  My
current server (which doesn't have the virtualization instruction sets)
runs some game servers like Minecraft, a couple web servers, some python
scripts, an IRC bot, Mumble, etc.  I sometimes cross-compile things on it,
or store config backups, but nothing too fancy (I'm still on DSL, so upload
is a pain).

The reason to go virtual is largely one of flexibility.  I can hand a small
linux VM to a friend.  I can spin up a Windows server to run ASP.NET stuff
(shush, I like it, especially the new MVC4).  I can spin up a VM of Hurd to
see just how ridiculous it still is.  Dev server going in a test
environment with it's own lab.  You know, whatever.  Maybe 40 people will
ever access them in any way besides the website.  My online community is
not that large and we like it that way. =c)

-Tod Hansmann