Quantum teleportation, FTL, and causality; was Re: Cat 5 extended run?

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Fri Mar 15 10:05:51 MDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Religion and Science are methods of seeking answers to different questions.
> One cannot correctly substitute for the other.
>
> Put another way,
> Science asks HOW.
> Religion asks WHY.

Tell that to the zealots that are trying to change the nation's school
curriculum. They misunderstand the simple concept of fact vs
theory/belief. Yes, theory != belief, the former being testable--but
neither is strictly fact. So long as we always teach things only so
far as we know them (qualified appropriately), teachers should be free
and encouraged to present any/all information.

I loathed my professors that would teach their own opinion as if it
were fact--*without* qualifying it. When instead they said "this is my
opinion..." or "here's the current theory and supporting facts so
far..." or "this group of people believe xyz about the
matter..."--leaving me to judge the information for myself--that was
great, and how it should be done.

Some people adamantly exchange the word "know" in place of "believe",
further confusing the issue. Knowledge *replaces* belief and faith.
Once you know something, you have no more need for faith in the
matter--it's now a done deal. A person believes because they don't
have sufficient evidence to prove something is a fact. Touting a
strong belief as "personal knowledge" is not only a lie, but a really
weak tactic to attempt to inflate the importance of a belief to
others. It can be quite frustrating at times when talking with some
people--especially when in my eyes it weakens their argument while
simultaneously they perceive it as a strength...

I realize that anyone that has studied philosophy could tear the
preceding apart to bits. My intention is not to bait such a
discussion--just to highlight one piece that is sometimes part of the
problem.