Hypervisors and you!

Tod Hansmann plug.org at todandlorna.com
Fri Mar 15 08:12:15 MDT 2013

So I bought a server that happens to have 72 gigs of ram (this is
important later) and some processors with the virtualization features
required for most hypervisors.  My issue now is that I need to figure
out how to work out which hypervisor server to use. Here's my thoughts:

- I can't go with ESXi, because they have a hard limit of 32GB RAM, and
they don't support any software RAID.
- I've been playing with Hyper-V Server 2012, which is nice in some
ways, but has some major lack in the Linux VM department
- I'm looking at Xen, but don't know much about it yet
- I need something I can get to remotely, but is secure.  This is
another strike against Hyper-V.  Managing the thing is a HUGE pain.
- KVM isn't going to be a whole lot better with regards to management
unless I use something on top of it.  My only OTHER issue with KVM is
that it seems I will have to install a full OS of some sort, when I'd
rather just have a bare metal Hypervisor.  Correct me if I'm wrong, I
guess, but managing the thing is important, too.
- Last but not least, I'm concerned about upgrade ability.  I'm going to
put this in my colo, and I do NOT want to break things with an OS
update.  I'd rather enjoy uptime of about 3 years before having to go
back to the colo.  I guess what I'm saying here is I will never use
Gentoo in this case.

What's your favorite VM Server thingamajig?  Why?  What else might you
recommend?  How do you manage it?

Cheers,

-Tod Hansmann