Powerline Ethernet adapters & UPS?

Dan Egli ddavidegli at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 00:52:29 MDT 2013

*That would be an interesting project, I'll admit. Probably be more
expensive than a regular AP though. I admit I haven't looked at prices of
USB WiFi dongles lately, but last I looked (a few years ago) the dongle was
around $90-100 or so. Add that to around $100-120 for the other components
(Pi board, SD card, powered USB hub, 4-port gigabit hub) and you're around
$190-220 where as a good WiFi AP would only be around $160-180 at a guess.
Considering I'll be stringing this whole thing together on a portion of a
Shoestring budget, $30 is something I could use elsewhere. Still, a fun
concept, I'll admit. *

* *

*Question though. Last I tried, you could only connect WiFi adapters to
other adapters on a 1:1 basis. You couldn't have one computer with one WiFi
adapter (dongle or PCI card, and yes it's been that long since I looked at
WiFi. PCIe hadn't been released yet) serving multiple computers wirelessly.
To serve three wireless clients, you needed three wireless adapters or an
Access Point. Now if this has changed then I'm all ears. In theory, at
least in my mind, what I could end up doing in that case is having the
single AP I turn into a bridge and have it served by a USB dongle on the
machine that serves the PXE clients, and could even have my TV get access
to Netflix and what not using WiFi. I like this, if it's going to be very
easy. If you know of a particular USB dongle that could serve this purpose
I'm all ears!*

* *

*Thanks so much for all the help so far folks!*

* *

*--- Dan*