Quantum teleportation, FTL, and causality; was Re: Cat 5 extended run?

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Thu Mar 14 18:04:19 MDT 2013

On 03/13/2013 12:12 PM, Levi Pearson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Alan Young<alansyoungiii at gmail.com>  wrote:
> Yes, science is continually wrong about things, but the scope of its
> wrongness in a given domain tends to narrow over time.
> See this essay, where Isaac Asimov makes the point far more
> eloquently: http://chem.tufts.edu/answersinscience/relativityofwrong.htm
>
> Of course, it's often difficult to see as a layperson just exactly
> what the points of uncertainty in a given scientific domain are and
> what the confidence levels in 'fairly certain' parts are.  We mostly
> see science filtered through journalism, which is not generally
> equipped to pass those kinds of subtleties on.  Sometimes laypeople
> think scientists are more certain about things than they are, and
> often they think the science is less certain about a particular point
> than it actually is.  It's hard to know without in-depth study of the
> particular domain, and in some cases there's a lot of background noise
> from people who don't really know the actual state of the science who
> are busy screaming at each other about details of the domain they're
> attached to based on how those details fit into their preexisting
> belief structure.
>
>      --Levi

Wow.  That looks like a really wordy form of "Hypothesis are like
opinions; everyone's got one and they all stink."

Though I must say Levi, your version was far more interesting to read
than mine.

My wife and I were discussing the growing uproar on this subject, and
when it was that we  each finally realized that science and deity are
not mutually exclusive schools of thought.  It is my personal view that
science is reverse engineering the universe and figuring out how God got
things done.  I look at our current understanding in the same way as
when I tore apart my grandmothers vacuum (to her dismay) when I was 3 or
4.  Once I put it all back together again, I better understood the
vacuum's operation and related physics;  but that still didn't change
the fact that I had parts left over.

At present, I think we collectively understand a great deal about the
universe, but I still think we have a few screws loose.

;-Daniel Fussell