Quantum teleportation, FTL, and causality; was Re: Cat 5 extended run?

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Thu Mar 14 17:32:11 MDT 2013

On 03/12/2013 06:14 PM, Barry Roberts wrote:
>>> You mean the fact that Levi believes FTL information transfer is impossible? Not too bad.
>> No, I mean the fact that FTL travel (as well as time travel in
>> general) would create causality violations.  If you believe in a deity
>> that can travel and communicate faster than light and also travel
>> through time, how do you make the two match up?
> You might consider this just hand-waving, but I believe we're about as
> smart about real physics as the inhabitants of  Flatland.  There are
> entire dimensions our mortal minds probably aren't even capable of
> comprehending.

At the risk of tagging on to a religious question (of minor import) with
a (frivolous) secular quote:

"Can I take my pants off over my head?  No; my body is in the way.  But
if we had access to higher dimensions, we could take our pants off
around our body, and our days of dropping trouser would be over!"

I'm only agreeing with Barry, that it's one possibility.  I suspect the
answer will appear quite simple, whatever the mechanism, when we
eventually learn of it by whatever means.

I would suggest that any postulation, in whatever direction or
persuasion, ought to be done carefully; or you may one day put yourself
at the business end of a zebra crossing.  ;-)

;-Daniel Fussell