Hard Disk device IDs in Linux

Daniel Fussell dfussell at byu.edu
Thu Mar 14 12:49:44 MDT 2013

On 03/11/2013 06:24 PM, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 17:05 +0530, Dan Egli wrote:
>> Problem with LVM is it doesn't offer any failover protection that I am
>> aware of.
> LVM can provide RAID. See --mirror and --type in the lvcreate man page.
> However, most people combine it with mdadm when they want RAID.

There has been some work to add additional RAID levels to LVM, as well
as thin provisioning, but I don't think I would trust any of them in
production just yet.  So, if software raid is where you're headed, I
think I would lean to mdadm instead.

Whatever you do, don't forget to turn off the drive's internal caches
for any RAID setup.  You're just asking for trouble if you don't.

Grazie,
;-Daniel Fussell