Powerline Ethernet adapters & UPS?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 11:48:22 MDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Dan Egli <ddavidegli at gmail.com> wrote:
> *Hmmm.... Hadn't thought of a bridge. That may work. I'll have to look into
> that.*
>
> *Any recommendations as to a good bridge and a good wireless AP? If I'm
> going to use a wireless AP I'd prefer one I can flash with the OpenWRT
> firmware. I understand that's basically Linux for the AP? I'm trying to
> maintain as much of a pure Linux environment as I can.*

I would look for one that is supported via the mac80211 driver
interface in the kernel.  This is part of the new linux wireless
infrastructure, and it represents the class of devices where more of
the WiFi protocol stack is implemented in the kernel driver rather
than in the wireless chip itself.  This allows a great deal of the
higher-level functionality to be implemented in a uniform way across
the chips that use this driver.  If you could get one of these that's
sufficiently capable in a USB dongle, you could even set up a
raspberry pi board to act as a wireless bridge or access point fairly
easily.

The new linux wireless subsystem is actually pretty well documented at
wireless.kernel.org, so it's worth checking out if you plan on doing
anything fancy with WiFi in Linux.

       --Levi