Cat 5 extended run?

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Wed Mar 13 11:40:01 MDT 2013

On Mar 12, 2013, at 4:00 PM, Corey Edwards <tensai at zmonkey.org> wrote:

> On 03/12/2013 07:00 AM, Jared Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 2:50 AM, S. Dale Morrey <sdalemorrey at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've been asked to salvage a project where someone laid cat 5 to all
>>> the houses in a neighborhood but didn't seem to have a concept of
>>> signal loss in long runs of cat 5.
>>> Assuming this is a max of 250m from the head end, is there an
>>> amplifier or relay or something that can be placed at the end points
>>> to mitigate the packet loss issues?
>>
>> You could always put in a small DSLAM at the head end, and cheap DSL
>> modems on the far end, and treat the CAT-5 as CAT-3... While not
>> ideal, I've seen it work well in lots of cases.
>
> That would certainly work. ADSL2+ can do speeds up to 25mbps, but the
> uplink is still low. VDSL can do up to 100mbps by 50mbps. Something like
> this:
>
> http://www.zhone.com/products/MX-160_260/
> http://www.zhone.com/products/cpe/vdsl2/
>
> But that gear isn't cheap, so I'd investigate pulling fiber before
> committing to DSL.

Along the lines of DSL, you may want to look at solutions for "2BASE-TL', "Ethernet over Copper", "Ethernet over bonded copper," SHDSL and related technologies that make use of copper pairs (singly or in groups) independent of the traditional Ethernet standard. You wouldn't get 100Mbit/s with four pairs but you could probably do 30-60 over relatively short distances. Of course, you need equipment on both ends of each link and that isn't likely to be cheap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2BASE-TL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-pair_high-speed_digital_subscriber_line
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_over_copper

My only firsthand experience with this involved gear from Hatteras Networks at a previous job. The office Internet used 7 pairs of copper (used to be phone lines) to get about 12 Mbit/s (symmetrical) from AT&T. It would have either been faster or required fewer pairs if the office weren't so far from the CO. We just plugged our router into the (standard) Ethernet jack on the Hatteras box and away we went.

It looks like Hatteras was acquired by Overture Networks.
http://www.overturenetworks.com/products/ethernet-over-bonded-copper-products

HTH,

JN